Maria Witt is passionate about fighting unfair treatment at work and has devoted her career to advocating for employee rights.
Before joining Rohny Law in October 2017, Maria served as a clerk for three years to the Honorable Marco A. Hernández at the United States District Court for the District of Oregon. Maria worked on a range of civil and criminal matters, including employment law, civil rights, and contract disputes. She also worked for the Civil Rights Section of the United States Attorney’s Office, which focused on enforcing civil rights statutes such as the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Fair Housing Act.
Maria brings to her law practice a depth of experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds. Her professional background includes more than eight years fighting for the rights of professionals, service workers, and union members. As a skilled and experienced advocate and organizer, Maria helped thousands of employees of multinational corporations, state and local governments, and public university systems negotiate better wages, benefits, and working conditions. She also successfully represented individuals in disciplinary proceedings and helped people win fair solutions to conflicts at work.
Maria is fluent in English and Spanish.
Lewis & Clark Law School, J.D., magna cum laude
Brown University, B.A., honors
- Oregon State Bar (OSB) Civil Rights Section – Secretary and Executive Committee Member
- Oregon Gay & Lesbian Lawyers Association (OGALLA) – Board Member and Newsletter Chair
- Lewis & Clark Law Student Mentor Program – Mentor
- Oregon Women Lawyers (OWLS) – Member
- Multnomah Bar Association (MBA) – Member
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon – Law Clerk to Hon. Marco A. Hernández
- U.S. Attorney’s Office, District of Oregon – Civil Rights Law Clerk
- Disability Rights Oregon (DRO) – Law Clerk
- Service Employees International Union (SEIU) – Senior Field Coordinator
- American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME) – Organizer